15 March 2010

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

One of the secrets of life is to be honestly who you are. Who others want you to be, who you used to be, and who you may some day become ... these are fantasies. To be honestly who you are is to give up your illusions and face today with courage.
~ Bill Purdin
According to an ancient travelogue, "Know Thyself" was engraved at the entrance of the court to the Oracle at the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. It's amazing where one finds wisdom. I think I am finally learning who I am. I don't know why it's taken me so long or why I've made myself jump through so many flaming hoops along the way but...That isn't important.

I'm finally realizing that Who I Am is not only necessary for me to figure out but also necessary for my salvation. How can I work out my salvation with fear and trembling if I don't know who the person is that needs salvation? Being who I am and not who someone else wants me to be is just plain honest. And so much easier than whatever it was I was doing before. I don't even know how I got into the habit of being a chameleon. I do know that it wasn't something I planned to do. And having a plan is half the battle isn't it?

I'm looking forward to this bit of discovery though. A lot of people define themselves by their work or their relationships, but I think I am going to be able to skip a lot of that. Not that they aren't important but I see that they aren't me. Maybe it's because I am past those points of my life where those definitions are developed? I dunno. I just know I'm pretty much a blank slate. Is that a good thing?


I'm a saint and I'm a sinner
I'm a loser; I'm a winner
I am steady and unstable
I'm young, but I am able

I am [Carrie's] granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done my momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner!

Relevant Reading

No comments: