25 May 2010

Time


Time is relative. How fast an event happens will always vary from person to person depending upon their perspective. I remember when a year took forever to go by (my birthday is in November) and summer never seemed to show up. Now, time just flies by.

I went to see my family this past week. I'm always shocked to see my father and grandfather. Since we don't live in the same state and my circumstances are a bit on the iffy side sometimes, I don't get to see them as often as I would like. I know they are getting older but I don't actually realize it until it hits me in the face.

This picture was taken when I was in the fifth grade. This is how I remember my dad. He sounds the same as he did in when I was in the fifth grade. His voice hasn't changed at all! He tends to break out the "Wise Old Man" persona more often these days but basically he's the same guy on the inside.

On the outside however dad is very different. He is obviously getting older now and showing his age. Not that that is a bad thing, it is definitely not. It is always a shock though when I see him and have to remember, my dad (78) isn't going to be here forever. Neither is my grandfather (94).

Realizing this also brings home the fact that I am not going to be here forever either. It's very sobering. It's also freeing. I'm really starting to understand what it means to stop hanging onto what you cannot keep. The only thing that really stays is my life in Christ. Without maintaining that, even living forever would mean nothing because such a life would be a cold, bleak thing. Dad and granddaddy have both proved this out to me. I love them and hope I can live up to their examples.

Happy birthday, daddy! God grant you many more years to come!

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

1 comment:

margaret said...

Happy Birthday to Elzabet's dad!