24 February 2011

Lather, Rinse, Repeat...

The found humor inherent in the phrase is that the instructions, if taken literally, tell the user to lather their hair, rinse the shampoo off, then repeat the process—but they do not say when to stop this cycle. In theory, a person could conceivably keep washing and rinsing their hair forever (or until they ran out of shampoo) as they repeated the instructions over and over.
Wikipedia Entry
It's that time again. Lent is coming and I am anticipating it like someone was handing out bacon-wrapped filet mignon on the corner. (And considering it is Lent I am talking about that is truly ironic.) I think I do this every year: I anticipate Lent as this huge life-changing event and I inevitably piddle it away. Weird, but true. So...What if I don't? I mean really. What if I don't get all freaked out by the next 8 weeks and just chill? I wonder what might happen.

I think this means I am finally getting over my convertitis and moving into the reality of my life as an Orthodox Christian. Many people I know will be mightly glad to hear that I am sure wink. LOL! Seriously though, I can't live my life quoting the Early Church Fathers. The whole point is to live what they wrote, not just to quote them randomly in internet conversations that have little bearing on the real world. What they were writing was the real world and their intent, I believe, was for us to live our lives using their experiences as real life examples, not as experiments in a petri dish.

Today I had a great conversation with The Boy about where and what he should eat when he is with his father during the Lenten period. We discussed veggies and fruit and fish without backbones (somehow he thinks we eat jellyfish!! gonna_spew) and cheese and milk. He was good with that. It was a good conversation. I didn't get all wrapped up in reminding him to pray and how to pray and when to pray and what direction to pray in and who to pray for and which saints to pray with and so on and so forth...We just talked about dealing with being at his dad's house during Lent.

The stress level was SO much lower. I like that. I like that a lot. I also like that I have found a way to put my smilies in my blog posts, but I digress.

I think that is where I need to be. The doing is not as important as the who'ing of my life. The stress level goes down so much when I remember to concentrate on who I am and not what I am doing. Rarely will what I do matter but who I become through it is what is important. I hope I can remember that as the days go by.

Lord have mercy on me a sinner.

No comments: