Counsels of Elder Paisios of the Holy MountainConscience is the first law of God, which He carved deeply into the hearts of the first-created. In turn we each make a photocopy from our parents when we're born.
Children contract their first spiritual colds from the open windows of their parents' senses. The mother passes on her cold especially when she is not modestly dressed and scandalizes her children with her behavior.
The holy life of parents instructs the souls of their children and so they naturally obey them and grow up with piety and without psychological problems, and the children are pleased with their parents. The parents are gladdened by their children in this life and in life eternal, where they will once again glory in them.
My brother, don't ask for anything in prayer except for repentance. Repentance will bring you humility, humility will bring you the grace of God, and God will uphold you in His grace and will give you whatever you need for your own salvation as well as whatever is needed, should the case arise, for you to help another soul in need.
For some reason, I thought being a parent would be so much easier than it actually is. The moment I think I have a handle on some little thing, something HUGE looms up behind me. This is really HARD. I don't know who these women are that claim it's so easy and can breeze through the day without wanting to throttle their perfect kids (who would never ever need a good throttling), while looking like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths but I am definitely not one of those rarified creatures.
God has seen fit to give me a delightful boy, though. So, rarified or not, I have to make sure I am what God needs for me to be for my boy. There is so much Gabriel needs from me, and let's not even begin to talk about the wants! I swear, that boy wants everything he lays eyes on. Much like his mama. HA!!
Anyway, doing it by myself is not an option. Praise the Lord that I don't have to. I am so grateful for His word to me a few years ago. He promised me:
All your children shall be taught by the Lord,
and great shall be the prosperity of your children.
Isaiah 54:13
And now, my daughter, do not be afraid; I will do for you all that you ask, for all the assembly of my people know you are a worthy woman.
Ruth 3:11
He has done all that He said and more. So now, moving into another arena of life that I feel woefully inadequate to tackle, I am praying again for Him to remember His promise to me. Not that I believe He has forgotten, but perhaps I have. Without Him there is no way I could have come as far as I have. I hope He never thinks I forget this and so, by reminding Him, I remind myself that I am His servant and He has not forgotten me. (Isaiah 44:21-22)
By remembering, I remind myself that He will make me able to take care of Gabriel and all the things that need taking care of (and maybe even some of our collective wants) if I merely do the one teensy, tiny, itty-bitty, little thing He has asked me to do: become a saint. One little thing. Heck, he even told me how to do it. Remember God. Say my prayers. Go to church. Forgive my brother. Obey the commandments. Of course that can be the hardest part of all.
The cool thing is, He will help me with that, too. Even when I scamper around like a squirrel on crack- laced coffee kicking up things like I've lost the very last acorn the world will ever see.
Trust me...It has happened. It ain't pretty.
Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.
Relevant Reading
The Life of Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain
Works of Elder Paisios
Isaiah 54
Isaiah 44
Ruth 3
The Hardest Part


2 comments:
Excellent post, Elizabet! Isn't humility a wonderful thing? Isn't it great not to have to keep stoking the ego?---Hey Let God do the job for ya. Sounds to me that, although parenting is awfully difficult, you have your priorities straight. God bless you.
I definitely hope so. There are times when I do think it's all about me but I am so glad of His forgiveness and mercy to a hyper squirrel!
Post a Comment