16 March 2012

I am Annoyed

 Why do people assume that because a woman cannot be a priest, she is somehow being held back from serving the Orthodox Church? In spite of hundreds if not thousands of examples to the contrary.

Handmaidens of the Lord
St Mary Magdalene
 Does the example of Christ Himself, Who though He was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross (Phil 2:6-8) mean nothing?

St Photini, the Samaritan Woman at the Well
St Thekla, Protomartyr
I have not been able to comprehend this attitude since coming into the Orthodox Church. I mean, seriously, does the ability to convey the gospel ONLY come from standing at the altar and being able to spoon the Body and Blood into people's mouths? Or does it come from obedience to the command of Christ? Shall we perhaps consider the Holy Myrrhbearers; those women called Equal-to-the-Apostles; St. Mary Magdalen called the Apostle to the Apostles; or the Theotokos herself? None of them seemed to have any problem with not being priests and they all preached the gospel--some before Emperors, others before large groups of men and women. So why do people take such issue with this?

And before you toss St Paul at me, he did not have an issue with women preaching the gospel either. He traveled with and preached with women, for pete's sake! He commended many women by name in his epistles, and (in that one epistle people like to toss around so very out of context) he exhorted St Timothy to remember the teaching of his mother Eunice, and grandmother, Lois, who gave their faith to Timothy whose father was not a Christian.

I definitely do not feel slighted in the least and have no clue how anyone really could.
St Helen, Equal to the Apostles

Unless they have no inkling of the history of women in the Church.

Lord have mercy on me a sinner.

Relevant Reading
Theotokos
St. Mary Magdalen, Apostle to the Apostles, Equal to the Apostles
Holy Myrrhbearers
St. Nino, Equal to the Apostles
St Thekla, Protomartyr and Equal to the Apostles
St Apphia, Equal to the Apostles
St Nana, Empress of Georgia and Equal to the Apostles
St Photini, the Samaritan Woman at the Well
St Helen, Mother of St Constantine and Equal to the Apostles
Women Saints of the Orthodox Church

1 comment:

Lora Dolores said...

Thank you for putting this into words so clearly. May I quote you next time I am challenged about this...which is quite frequently lately. I am so happy to be a woman and to follow Jesus in a spiritually maternal role. When I consider the beautiful, lovely valiant women saints, I am overcome with admiration for them. I aspire to be like them in their courage and pure love for our Lord. I have a long, long way to go.