The deconstruction of your faith is HARD. The reconstruction of your faith is HARD.
Both are work and both require thoughtful, considered, as well as emotional contemplation. Otherwise you go off half-cocked and lose yourself in the impulsivity of the moment. Leaving a place, an ideology, a belief you have ardently held because you are hurting or have been hurt or see hurt happening is painful and traumatic. Trauma requires a retreat to a safe place so that healing can take place.
Trauma requires a retreat to a safe place so that healing can take place.
Sometimes that takes a very long time.
It may take forever. It may take a couple days and a martini. Depends on the person.
Regardless, it is A Very Hard Thing.
St John of the Cross didn't call it a Long Dark Night of the Soul for nothing.
It is painful. There are stages of grief one goes through. And however many there are (5/4/12/952) they tend to fall into the same patterns:
- Denial. Dissociation. "I only want life to be as it was"
- Acceptance of the facts, but refusal / denial of the need to (re-)plan.
- Bewilderment.
- Anger.
- Scapegoating.
- Bargaining.
- Despair/Depression
- Bewilderment (again)
- Acceptance.
- Reconstruction -- A missing stage
One of the biggest issues to improve on, in the 5 stage model, may be around being constructive. The 5th stage is "Acceptance", but a lot of people get stuck in a kind of Acceptance that is little different from Despair – so that accepting the fact has not led to reconstructing a worthwhile life..."Acceptance" sounds completely passive, yet reconstruction must be active. So there seem to be two quite different final stages: (1) passive acceptance, which is perhaps little different to Despair or Bewilderment; and (2) active acceptance which means moving into a new re-planned way of living, which requires the person to be active and creative: "Reconstructed". This isn't just about stages of reaction to grief, but also to other kinds of changed circumstances. ~ Draper, 2021
Please recall that I can only speak to faith as a Christian, an Eastern Orthodox convert from charismatic evangelical Protestantism. I have no idea if someone from another faith goes through this but I believe it is probably a very human thing to do. But for me, as a Christian, the last decade(give or take) has taken a toll. I have seen folks who claim the Name say, do, and cosign some disgusting stuff all in the name of <insert cause directly orthogonal to the teachings they say they believe in>. If you have not been under a rock you know what I am describing. After a while, I just gave up. And honestly the Great Prestigious Pineapple of 2020 was a godsend because seriously I could just STOP with the uncomfortable "faith -proving" things I felt like I had to do and THINK about why I was doing them in the first place.
The questions and thoughts were...disturbing.
Does faith matter? Does it change people for the better? If so, then why are there some really decent atheists? Is it all about getting stuff from the Great Vending Machine in the Sky? Why is it in the sky? Why are people such assholes? Do they even believe this? If they do why are they being so hateful? Why am I being so hateful? What is the point anyway? Is eternal life even a thing? Does it matter? Salvation from what exactly? Is there a God? Is the God I know about the right one? If God exists, why are They such douchebags? Like, Jesus was chill and all but His Dad has major jealousy and anger issues. And so do His followers, really, and that book (pick a version) and institutions they came up after He took off for parts unknown are seriously in need of some executive reworking. And what about science and the things we have learned? Do not get me started on quantum physics, string theory, and the expansion of spacetime. No one took those things into account when my faith tradition was formed. Heck no one KNEW about those things when my faith tradition was formed!!! Church folks even today outright fight against SCIENCE and it's 2022 and they are still burning books about things they don't like and calling it "Christian". What the everlovin' fuck, man????
(By the way...if you plan to say something like "Well church is about God and if you were truly a Christian what other people do wouldn't matter blah blah blah." Just don't okay? That is not helpful. It's patronizing and condescending. Yes, people can be dumpster fires and do some icky things in the Name of Jesus, but they don't have to. They could decide to NOT be a dumpster fire. So don't try to say it's MY fault when I hear blatantly racist crap coming out of people's mouths (or posted on their Fb walls) and believe those people should be taken to task by those in charge. AND that those in charge should not be the ones I have issues with in the first place. Thanks just all to pieces)
But I digress...
When I started actually thinking about what I was thinking about I was broken. Like "Man oh man, some of this stuff is just plain TOXIC as all hell," I started reading and doing some research (always dangerous) and noticed that what I was experiencing (within my faith tradition) was not all that uncommon. I was just floored.
It had a name.
It's deconstruction. And I have always liked taking things apart.

No comments:
Post a Comment