28 July 2010

God is Bigger than the Bogey Man

The Blessed Sts Bob and Larry
Kuketakion in the First Tomatone
God made you special and He loves you very much!

Sometimes in the middle of all that is happening, I have to retreat and try to remember this. It's simple. It's easy. It gets lost in the whirlwind. Yeah, that's the image--a tornado, like in the Wizard of Oz, with all this stuff swirling around that I'm trying to catch and hold for some reason...I need to just stand in the eye of the storm and remember this while I wait on the Lord.

But Moses said to the people, ‘Do not be afraid, stand firm, and see the deliverance that the Lord will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you see today you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to keep still.’
Exodus 14:13-14

Turn to me and be gracious to me,
   for I am lonely and afflicted. 
Relieve the troubles of my heart,
   and bring me out of my distress. 
Consider my affliction and my trouble,
   and forgive all my sins. 

Consider how many are my foes,
   and with what violent hatred they hate me. 
O guard my life, and deliver me;
   do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. 
May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
   for I wait for you. 
Psalm 24:16-21

The Lord of hosts is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah 
Come, behold the works of the Lord;
   see what desolations he has brought on the earth. 
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
   he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
   he burns the shields with fire. 
‘Be still, and know that I am God!
   I am exalted among the nations,
   I am exalted in the earth.’ 
The Lord of hosts is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah 
Psalm 46:7-11

Comfort, O comfort my people,
   says your God. 
Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
   and cry to her
that she has served her term,
   that her penalty is paid,
that she has received from the Lord’s hand
   double for all her sins. 
Isaiah 40:1-2

O afflicted one, storm-tossed, and not comforted, I am about to set your stones in antimony,
   and lay your foundations with sapphires. 
I will make your pinnacles of rubies, your gates of jewels,
   and all your wall of precious stones. 
All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the prosperity of your children. 
In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear;
   and from terror, for it shall not come near you. 
If anyone stirs up strife, it is not from me; whoever stirs up strife with you shall fall because of you. 
Isaiah 54:11-15

 And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. A great gale arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, ‘Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?’ He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace! Be still!’ Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. He said to them, ‘Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?’ And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, ‘Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
Mark 4:36-41

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.’ But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.’
Luke 10:38-42

No comments: