I think the theme of my life lately has been finding contentment. Contentment in what I have, in who I am, in where I find myself at various and sundry times. Too often lately I have found that I am not content and this leads to all sorts of difficulties. I do the wrong thing or don't do the right thing (which are not the same). I depend on the wrong person or mistrust someone I should place my trust in and just generally end up making huge mistakes to my own detriment.
I'm not quite sure what it is I should do but I seem to be waiting for something to happen that will be a big blinking sign that says "DO THIS RIGHT NOW" The problem with that sort of thing is that it never happens.
~sigh~ I know what I am trying to say but it isn't coming out quite right tonight.
I know God said, "Be content" and "Wait on me" but I swear neither of those commands are my forte. Then again, that might be the issue right there.
Vladimir and Estragon are still standing under that tree. They have no idea who Godot is or when he is coming, but they have stayed under the tree (at least for the duration of the play). They however, wait in vain. Godot never comes. Christ, however, has never left me. Perhaps I can take a lesson from Vladimir and Estragon and just wait until I notice He is right here with me.
Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.
Relevant Reading
Waiting for Godot
Interview with Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica

4 comments:
Wise words.
Ive been discontent lately as well and noticed cynicism and bitterness becoming my companions. Yesterday it occurred to me that I can change that, and through God's grace it has begun to lift.
Yes! As Elder Thaddeus said, "Our thoughts determine our lives." I also need to begin to pay attention to my wandering thought-life. When I don't nothing but misery follows.
God will answer in His time. Keep praying and listening. When He does answer, it will be at a time and place where you will fully understand His timing. God bless.
I've heard of that play! You know how I found it? I was "wiki-ing" Bert Lahr, the Cowardly Lion, cuz I'm geeky like that and like to look people up on Wikipedia. He was apparently famous for doing this play. It intrigued me so I looked up the play...I think I would like to see it performed some time. Sounds existentialist and heady and weird. Hee hee!
I can understand the discontent. I never thought of it before, but Eleni is right...it can lead to bitterness and cynicism. Absolutely! Also, entitlement...when you feel you've been robbed of something you "deserve". Ouch. I love it when you share your heart...I'm always blessed by your honesty and your faith, Beth! :D
Post a Comment