23 November 2012

Black Friday, St Xenia, and Me

I worked my first Black Friday in a LONG time today. I got to the mall at 700a and it was just me and a co-worker for about three hours. Not a lot was going on and it was SO dead. (As I wait for the library jobs to say yes to me I work in a card store. We had no doorbusters, no BF specials). I don't think we had more than four people in the store before 830a. I spent time making some changes to the store set per the Regional Manager's emails. I had my phone in my pocket and so while I was out there, I'd glance at the Akathist to St Xenia and try to think about a line from a kontakion or o/ikos as I was straightening stuff. It kept me from complaining about being at the mall at stupid o'clock in the morning.

About 830 or 900a, a few people who wandered in to buy one thing and then wander out. Then we got this one lady (and her cranky kids) with a slight attitude and my co-worker started to b!tch about her as soon as she left.

Snow Roller 
It truly only takes one. If it isn't nipped in the bud, it just rolls onward. At best, I am "not a morning person." At worst I am a wet cat in a burlap bag. I HATE being up early in the morning. It does not take much to get me to complain about being awake before my inner clock says it's reasonable to be awake. Caffeine is a food group as far as I am concerned.

So there I was, commiserating and jumping on the band-wagon along with co-worker when the eighth kontakion in the akathist popped into my head. It reads:

As a homeless wanderer, you trod the path of your life in the capital city 
of Russia, bearing afflictions and reproaches with great patience; 
and abiding now in the heavenly Jerusalem,
in joy you sing unto God: Alleluia!

And here I am complaining about a woman who, though it was through her own volition, was out too early in the morning with obviously exhausted children and probably trying to do as much of her shopping as she could. All she really wanted was the price tag taken off the picture and to have it re-wrapped. I'd be snarky too if I had to drag cranky kids around the mall at crazy o'clock in the morning after probably not getting enough sleep after a major holiday.

And while maybe she could have been nicer, why take offense at her snarkiness? There is so much energy expended in being offended by piddly stuff like that. Energy I desperately needed about two hours later when folks actually decided they needed cards and gift-wrapping services and the like. It really wasn't worth it to me to be "offended" by people who shop on Black Friday, tired, cranky customers, upper management at Wal-Mart or Sears (people whose decisions have no bearing on my work life right now). It simply wasn't.

Immediately the irritation just sort of drained away and I felt a lot better. I tried to change the subject but co-worker wasn't having it so I started emptying more boxes and setting out more of the items on the update (some seriously butt-ugly Christmas dust collectors let me tell you). After a while, co-worker wandered off.

And St Xenia and I re-set the front of the store in peace.


You were all things to all, O blessed Xenia—comfort for the sorrowful, protection and defense for the weak, joy for the grieving, clothing for the poor, healing for the sick; therefore, we cry out unto you:

Rejoice, for you dwell in the mansions on high!
Rejoice, for you pray there for us sinners!
Rejoice, O good one, who shows us a model of service to God!
Rejoice, O provider of our every need!
Rejoice, O protectress of the persecuted and oppressed!
Rejoice, for you by your supplications help the Orthodox people!
Rejoice, for you endured much affliction and grief!
Rejoice, for you defend the afflicted who pray to you!
Rejoice, for you rebuke those who abuse their fellows!
Rejoice, for you put to shame unbelievers and those who babble!
Rejoice, for you were clothed in rags and tatters!
Rejoice, for God has adorned you with the splendid raiment of righteousness!
Rejoice, O blessed Xenia, who ever intercedes for our souls!

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner!

Relevant Reading
The Life of St Xenia
The Akathist to St Xenia

No comments: