When the Angel of Death passes by and takes a loved one, the part we often forget is that Christ IS risen and that His work made it possible for us to be with Him. In order to be with Him, however, we have one more painful thing to do and that is leave our families behind. Just for a little while, but still...It's painful. We all suffer when the loved one leaves us but since they are among our great cloud of witnesses (Hebrews 12:1) they can see and know our suffering at their departure I am sure.
We feel the pain of death because we know, deep down, that this is not God's plan for us. He never intended that we be separated eternally one from another, and definitely not from Himself. Death is the result of a radical departure from His original design for mankind.
“For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord God; so turn and live.” (Ezekiel 18:32). Death was not “created” by God, who is the Source and Author of all life and Who, by revealing His Name as “I AM” to Moses reveals that He is Existence Itself: “God did not make death, and takes no pleasure in the destruction of any living thing; He created all things that they might have being” (Wis 1:13) ~ Orthodox Church in AmericaThis being true then those who precede us want nothing more than to reunite with us in the glorious Presence of God. Their desire for the salvation of those they remember with love must be top most in their minds. Why would it not be?
So although I grieve today, I rejoice. My tears are mingled with laughter. The soul deep pain is shot through with heart-lifting strength that winds through it like a ribbon of gold. There is yet another someone who will pray for my dad and grandfather, for my brother and sisters, for my son and for myself when I am weak and unable because I know she loved me and I know she loved them. Those we love we intercede for, and so I will continue to ask for their intercession and prayers in my life because I have no more doubt of their love than I do of God's.
And for her sake and for the sake of my mother and my grandmother, my great-grandparents, my aunts, uncles and cousins who have gone before me will I continue to work out my salvation in fear and trembling so that their prayers for me will not be in vain.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down Death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life!
May God make their memories eternal and have mercy upon me, a sinner.
Relevant Reading
Paschal Homily of St John Chrysostom
Ezekiel 18:30-32
Wisdom 1:12-15
Philippians 2:12-13
Hebrews 11:1 - 12:1
OCA - Q&A Mary/Prayer/Death
He Sees

No comments:
Post a Comment