He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to DO JUSTICE, AND TO LOVE KINDNESS, AND TO WALK HUMBLY WITH YOUR GOD? ~ Micah 6:8I get a little unhappy with folks who think they get to dictate who deserves justice and kindness in a place where so many have been deprived of it in favor of others who meet a certain criteria.
It is not a good thing (or a God thing) to show favoritism. It is in fact a sin to do so (see James 2:9). The point is to open the table to ALL. When the Master said to His servant, “Go out into the roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled," he did not tell the servant to inquire about their personal lives, pedigrees, gender, or skin color first. He said "Tell them to come in that my house may be full."
Seems to me that we should actually heed this instead of building fences, complaining about someone coming to take "muh guns," deciding certain people have mental problems because of who they choose to be, and denying basic decency to children and refugees.
Don't argue with me about it. I didn't say it.
Lord have mercy on me a sinner.
Relevant Reading
Micah 6:8
James 2:8-10
Luke 14:16-24
3 comments:
So true, and so very hard. It seems to me every human being save Christ has blind spots regarding justice and mercy, and it is so difficult to find them without his help. Lord have mercy!
AMEN.I thought some about the many small ways we do this. As there are in a physical war, I think there are many small casualties of kindness or patience that come from silently judging.
This verse in Micah was one of many thought-provokers that, I believe, led me to search for something deeper than the Pentecostal/Evangelical denomination in which I was raised. I found it is Eastern Orthodoxy.
Post a Comment