I'm amazed at the heat I take for a silly little thing on my head. It absolutely never ceases to amaze me. I can watch a movie that's riddled with violence, bad language and sexual overtones; I can walk around a beach with just enough material to cover the private parts that God gave me; I can regularly exceed the speed limits while driving; I can overeat in the name of Christian fellowship; I can step on people's heads and feelings on my way up the corporate ladder all in the name of 'ambition'...I can do so many things that are clearly sinful, clearly not holy, clearly meant to satisfy my flesh and my flesh alone -- appealing to my lower nature and not to my spiritual one -- and no one would say a word to me about it. But this little piece of fabric causes such an offense that even the people closest to us want to pin it on something...Been there done that bought the t-shirt. I remember certain people who were important in my life giving me such grief just because I decided to obey the push God was giving me toward being covered--hair and body. Certain people took it to mean I too was being selfish and unloving toward them. Others asked if I was converting to Islam. And let's not get started on the ones who are convinced I'm just trying to be "weird" for the sake of being weird. Someone also once said to me, "Just don't make it into a Law" As if the Law were bad or something.
Testimony of Grace: Beware the Spirit of Compromise
17
From his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.The Law was also grace. Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law--He was the Grace given on top of the grace of the Law. Even with the elaborate interpretation of the Law that they dealt with
John 1:16,17
[the Hebrews] did not see the law as a code, much less an arbitrary set of rules to be followed. They saw it as a help, a treasure, and a blessing. They also saw it as an expression of reality-the way things are, the way they are ordered in relation to each other and to their Creator. The Hebrews, who sang “thy law is truth”, felt it natural that any sane person would consider the law something he would want to get to know, the way he would want to come to understand life itself and its meaning: “How sweet are thy words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding” (Ps. 119.103)……in understanding the law, he understands what is what, and as a result he is at peace with others, with God, and with himself: he is strong and sure.”For the record, I am not becoming Jewish, either.
From Sweeter than Honey by Peter Bouteneff
I guess all I am saying is, lay off other folks' expression of their faith. Don't assume you know that someone is "God's child" or not. Don't assume that because you worship in an Orthodox/Catholic/Evangelical/Liberal Protestant/High Protestant church that you have the corner on the salvation market compared to someone who doesn't worship there or even know/understand your style of worship.
You aren't walking their path. You aren't qualified to judge.
Concern yourself with your own salvation and leave the salvation of others between them and God.
And before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am also preaching to myself. I often catch myself doing this very thing regularly. Believe me, it's a turrible turrible thing when you annoy yourself.
1 comment:
I agree with you. The reactions to a woman obediently responding to God's loving call to wear a head covering are often so negative, hostile and absolutely confounding.
It would be nice to have a shawl embroidered with the quote "Beware of the Testimony of Compromise!"
I must say that I am flattered by people opening doors for me and refraining from swearing in my presence because of my head covering. I cherish those positive experiences. One of the funniest things that happened to me since wearing a head covering full time was a little child asking me "Why do you wear that funny costume?"
Post a Comment