23 August 2009

Prayer of St Philaret

Lord, I know not what to ask of Thee; Thou alone knowest what is needed for me. Thou dost love me more than I know how to love Thee. O Father, give to Thy servant that for which I do not even know how to beg. I dare not ask for either a cross or for consolation; I am only standing before Thee with my heart open to Thee. Thou seest my needs which I do not even know; see and deal with me according to Thy mercy. Purge and heal me, humble me and raise me; I am in awe before Thee and I am silent before Thy will and Thy unfathomable ways for me. I bring myself as a sacrifice to Thee; teach me to pray. Pray Thyself in me. Amen.
Prayer of St. Philaret of Moscow

I have no idea how to pray some days. I love the written prayers kept by the Church because they fulfill so many of my needs. I know they are Biblical and the words keep my mind focused so much more than trying to pray "extemporaneously". God knows I don't need an excuse for distraction!

Also, they never fail to prime the pump for me. When I was in the midst of deep depression and unable to find any words at all beyond screaming "WHY????" those written prayers of the saints helped me find the words I needed so I would not scream and rant all the time.

I so appreciate the saints! Their wisdom and lives and words echo down through the ages to let us know we are not alone. We always have intercessors and witnesses and they've lent us their words to see us through those times when we don't have any.

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments: