30 August 2009

A Parent's Holiness

The Elder was once asked, "My daughter is living a dissolute life, how can I save her?" To which he responded: "Only with your own holiness. A parent's holiness saves their children."
Elder Porphyrios, "Wounded by Love"
I can only hope that God will grant me the ability to live a life of holiness for Gabriel's sake. I've screwed up quite often in this respect. My poor boy doesn't need any more of that in his life. It's bad enough that he's pulled like taffy between two sets of homes; that our time together is so limited due to current circumstances therefore half my time with him is spent reminding him of the rules of my home. Somedays I just want to press a button and erase the past three years or so and start over. The result may not be perfect but at least I wouldn't be so worried about him all the time.

The Lord promised me he would be okay and that He would teach Gabriel for me. I must have faith and rely on that fact. Otherwise there is nothing left for me except despair. Concentrating on me and my salvation while continuing to give Gabriel to the Lord is the important thing.

Lord have mercy on me a sinner.

No comments: