28 December 2009

This Christmas

I was so blessed this holiday. I was set to not have my son and spend a lot of time alone but things changed.

Gabriel was scheduled to spend time with his father this year for Christmas. At the last minute, they decided not to go out of town and so we were able to spend Christmas Eve and morning together. We woke up early to open gifts and then went to liturgy where he played a shepherd in the nativity play.
Then we went to a friend's house so he could play and then I took him to his father so he could spend time over there. He's gone to his grandparents for the rest of this week now.

After I dropped him off, I went back to have supper with my friends. Oh my goodness! The food was so good! The company gave it that extra bit of "oomph" though. Conversation flowed like water and hugs and laughter abounded. Some of us girls even played dress-up and took pictures. LOL! I haven't had so much fun at Christmas in YEARS!

It made me think a lot about what "Christmas" is supposed to be. I have friends who do not celebrate the holiday for many reasons: it's materialistic, it's pagan, it's stupid. I think however the reason that really made me think was when a friend said, "We get all worked up over a single day but that single day can never measure up to the expectations we build for ourselves and have foisted on us by Madison Avenue. It just leads to all kinds of depression and loneliness and anger. What kind of "christian" holiday is that?"

Last year I wrote about how Christmas and the Feast of the Nativity According to the Flesh of Our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ differ to me. They are very different and they leave very different tastes in my mouth after they end. Gathering with family and friends to feast, fellowship and even exchange gifts is never a bad thing, you know. I am so blessed to be able to do it regularly (except for the gifts part).

Maybe God didn't ordain this holiday and maybe it does have some questionable trappings but does that mean we should not celebrate the Nativity of Our Lord at all? I question that. I mean, even the angels celebrated His birth and I think that they know a little bit about what is acceptable before God. After all, they are in His presence a bit more regularly than I am (and I blush to admit that).

Anyway, glory to God that He made this holiday time more than I would ever expect or imagine.

Nativity2.jpg

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

Relevant Reading

Luke 2:8-20

5 comments:

Janelle thegeekywife said...

:)

I am very happy that you had such a happy Christmas!

Christ is born!

Anonymous said...

So glad to read of such awesome Christmas!

I really wish you happy holidays and GREAT new year! :)

VASILIKI said...

Elzabet, I agree with you.

If you are not a Christian and you are celebrating Christmas then it is pagan ...

It is our Lord's birth and a celebration since He united his divinity to His creation, I really dont see why we cant have the right to celebrate that?

There is no sin in that ... when we get married, we celebrate afterwards - even Christ was present to bless the party of the wedding, how much moreso His Birday party!

Anonymous said...

Just to add my little two cents worth, it probably is worthile for us to remember that Christ gave His disciples and hence the Church, the power to bind and loose things on earth and even in heaven (cf Mat 18:18). I think this gives the Church full authority to do what she esteems appropriate, albeit in Council and by the power of the Holy Spirit ever present through the ages, for the welfare of the Kingdom (cf Acts 15:28).

I think the Church deemed the celebration of Christmas necessary to silence the Gnostic heresy prevalent way back then which assumed that Christ was not born in the flesh but only appeared as a man and also to offset the pagan celebration of the Sun on Dec 25th. After all Christ is the true S(o)n of Righteousness eh?

Anonymous said...

Hi Elzabet and all. You may find a brilliant article here http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/calendar/los/December/25-01.htm entititled "Discourse on The Nativity of Christ". It promises clarity on the history of the Nativity Feast. Hope you all find it helpful as we all continue to glorify Him that came form on High and was born in the flesh of the Holy Virgin.