30 August 2011

Note to Self: Become Content but Not Complacent

I had this thought today and I do not want to forget it.

I don't advocate complacency, but to find contentment. There is a difference. 

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." 
 Contentment means being enough at peace with my current circumstances that the way out of it is not obscured by my anxiety about the situation. It is only with peace that I can think properly and see my way clear of an unhappy place. Anxiety/discontentment does not lead to clarity of thought or the ability to take proper action when the time comes.

We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope and hope does not disappoint. 

Sometimes it just takes longer than we would like. 

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

Relevant Reading
Philippians 4:6-7, 11-12
Romans 5:3-5

No comments: