19 July 2013

Pain and Frustration

Theotokos Softener of Evil Hearts
I watched the speech President Obama gave re: Trayvon Martin. Then I made the mistake of reading the comments (always a mistake) on a news website. I have no idea how I have missed the pure hatred and disregard people in this country have for the lives and experiences of those whose skin is brown.

I need to go hug my boy again. This is horrible.

One day some fool with a gun might see my boy walking down the street and blow him away because he doesn't look like he belongs.

 I HATE this. What is WRONG with people? Oh wait, now I remember...

Oh God! Save thy people and bless thy inheritance!

Soften our evil hearts, O Theotokos, and quench the attacks of those who hate us and loose all straitness of our soul. For looking on thy holy icon we are filled with compunction by thy suffering and loving-kindness for us and we kiss thy wounds; we are filled with horror for the darts with which we wound thee. Let us not, O Mother of Compassion, according to the cruelty of our hearts, perish from the cruelty of heart of those near us, For thou art in truth the Softener of Evil Hearts.

We cry out with heartfelt emotion to the chosen Virgin Mary, far nobler than all the daughters of the earth, Mother of the Son of God, Who gave salvation to the world: Look at our life which is filled with every sorrow and remember the sorrow and pain which thou didst suffer as one born on earth with us, and do with us according to thy merciful heart, that we may cry unto thee: Rejoice, much-sorrowing Mother of God, turn our sorrows into joy and soften the hearts of evil men!

Relevant Reading


No comments: