Not too long ago I was content. Peaceful. Now I am not. I am not quite sure what happened to change that but I certainly am not happy it happened. I fought long and hard to get to that place and I am pretty darn sure I don't want to leave it behind for a mess o'pottage. Whatever pottage is, it can't possibly be as good as being content and sure of where I stand in my circumstances. I think that I've begun to rest on my laurels. God has proven to me over the past few years that He will not suffer a lot of nonsense from me. He allows me to have a moment here and there but He isn't going to allow me to give what is rightfully His to another...anything. Another man, another circumstance, another job, another paycheck. Nothing. He has declared Himself and He will not be argued with. He is my source and none other.
Do not fear, for you will not be ashamed; do not be discouraged, for you will not suffer disgrace; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the disgrace of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your Husband, Lord of hosts is His name; the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth He is.~Isaiah 54:4-5
The Lord has sworn by his right hand and by his mighty arm: "I will not again give your grain to be food for your enemies,and foreigners shall not drink the wine for which you have laboured; but those who garner it shall eat it and praise the Lord, and those who gather it shall drink it in My holy courts."~ Isaiah 62:8-9
No. He will not be argued with. Much. Then again, arguing with God is like fighting the tide.
And in spite of having ridiculously long arms, even my arms are too short to box with God. He has reminded me of that, putting me in my place and telling me to
Remember the wonderful works He has done, his miracles, and the judgments He has uttered...~ Psalm 105:5
So yeah, I don't have a lot to be discontented about. He has blessed me beyond blessing. Not in ways that most people could see (although some things He has done have been really pretty darn spectacular) but mostly He just makes sure things got done, quietly and without fanfare.So where is my discontent next to that? How utterly faithless of me, really, to think He would bring me this far and then kick me to the curb like a piece of used Kleenex.
The Lord is faithful, even when I am not.
Especially when I am not. He has His Name to keep up with after all. (Especially since us Christian types tend to drag it through the mud on a regular basis.)
I totally need to keep all of that in mind. Especially when the wind and the rain kicks up.
I totally need to quit being an idiot. Panic does not become a woman called "worthy" by God and His people. (Ruth 3:11)
Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.
Relevant Reading
Psalm 105
The Prodigal Son, by James Weldon Johnson
Isaiah 54
Isaiah 62
Ruth
No comments:
Post a Comment