24 March 2014

May God Make Their Memories Eternal


We have to bring this Church from Byzantium to America. We have to bring it from Czarist Russia to America. Psychologically we are still not here, some of us. But, now you’re here. So do something about it. This faith which remains the best kept secret in America because of our laziness, we Orthodox. Because we have been busy taking care of our ethnic ghettos. It is time that we let this light shine. America needs the Orthodox faith. Today, I say to America, Come home America. Come home to the faith of Peter and Paul. ~ Metropolitan Philip (+2014)
Eternal be his memory!

It's so odd how I feel right now. When I first heard about the repose of His Eminence, I was truly shocked. Tears came and I had that odd itchy feeling in my nose. I still kind of do but I have not actually cried. It's as if an uncle I had heard about but never met IRL passed. I mean, I know of and about our Metropolitan, but I never knew him personally.

But the thought that I will no longer hear his name commemorated at the liturgy...hurts...somehow. There will be a hole, so to speak, in the litany. So I ask God to please remember our Metropolitan who has done so much to bring Orthodoxy into the mainstream of America.

Addendum...Also this past week, Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I of the Syrian Orthodox Church and Archpriest Alexander Atty, and the son of a former pastor of mine all reposed. It seems this Lent will be a lesson of faithfulness in the face of great loss. So many were praying for all these men and yet the Lord called them home in His mercy and wisdom.

With the spirits of the righteous made perfect
Give rest to the soul of Your servants, O Savior;
And keep them safe in that life of blessedness
That is lived with You, O Friend of Man.
 In the place of Your rest, O Lord,
Where all Your Saints repose, Give rest also to the soul of Your servant, For You alone are immortal.
 Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. 
 You are our God Who descended into Hell
To loose the bonds of those who were there; 
Give rest also to the soul of Your servants, O Savior. 
 Both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen. 
 O Virgin, alone pure and immaculate that in maiden-motherhood brought forth God, intercede for the salvation of the soul of your servants

Relevant Reading/Viewing
The Life of Metropolitan Philip
Strength Through Unity, documentary of the life of His Eminence.
Evangelicals Come Home to the Orthodox Church
Again Magazine, June 1989
Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I
The Syrian Orthodox Church




No comments: