
All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the prosperity of your children. 14In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you.
Isaiah 54:13-14
A few months into the comedy-drama that was my life in 2007 I went to a Bible study at a friend's house. Things were fairly normal and then one of the participants pretty much told my story up to that point. She didn't know me from Adam's housecat and she laid it out from first to last. It was incredible and when it was over, I was surprised the song "Killing Me Softly" wasn't playing in the background it was just that uncanny.
When it was over, the two people in the group who did actually know what was going on with me, cleared their throats and suggested we go on with the study. The object of the study was to list words that described our current state of being and then locate those words in a Concordance and the verses that went with them.
Isaiah 54, Psalm 25, Psalm 55:12-14, 20-21 and Ruth 3:10-11 were the verses that came to me at that time. I've been trying to live by them ever since.
Right now, I am worried about how I am going to raise my son. He's going to see a lot of things that will contradict what I think I need to teach. How am I going to combat that? How can I say there are consequences to sin when he may not see any right now? How can I tell him there are things you just don't do when someone he loves is doing it? I've been worrying about this for a long time.
Then these verses came back to me today.
God will teach him. God will teach him. I don't need to worry about it (Psalm 25:17) because God will show Gabriel what he needs to know and will make him understand what he needs to understand when he needs to understand it.
Who are they that fear the Lord? He will teach them the way that they should choose. 13They will abide in prosperity, and their children shall possess the land.
Psalm 25:12-13
Once again, I need to remember what the Lord has told me and the promises He has made me and how good He has been to me during this time.
In spite of myself.
Relevant Verses
Isaiah 54
Psalm 25
Psalm 55:12-14, 20-21
Ruth 3:10-11
1 comment:
Teach your son that God loves us so much that He allows us our own will--to choose good or evil; and to suffer the consequences of our choices. Don't worry about trying to explain consequences that others' choice might bring to them. It's not "our business" to even notice that or if others are experiencing consequences of their choices. Just point out to him consequences that he experiences from his own decisions. For example, if he chooses not to wear a hat to school, his ears will get cold--that sort of thing. These little things are like little acorns that grow into large oaks.
Post a Comment