13 November 2011

It's 300am Somewhere...


"In a real dark night of the soul it is always three o'clock in the morning."
~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me."
~ Matthew 10:38, 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23, 14:47

Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given to me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.
~ 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need
~ Philippians 4:6-7,11-12

According to the Gospel, it should be said that undoubtedly each person is given his own saving cross. This cross has grown on the soil of our heart, and it is only through this cross that we can be saved. From this it follows that if we refuse to carry our cross of obedience for no legitimate reason, we refuse to go by the way of Christ, by the saving way, and we want to invent for ourselves another way, free of labor, for attaining the Kingdom of Heaven. But this cannot be.
I am coming to realize that there is simply no avoiding my particular cross. I may kick, I may scream, but it is here for the duration.  No matter how much I try to wiggle away, I always find myself face to face with it. And I seriously and truly abhor it. With every fibre of my being.

Above and beyond anything else, I. Hate. This. Thorn.

God says, “…And? It’s a thorn. A cross. You aren’t supposed to like it. You are supposed to bear it and deal with it. MY WAY.” God’s way, in case you were behind on this one, is forgiveness, love, mercy, patience. Acceptance. Long-suffering (emphasis on the long and the suffering.) I am definitely still an American Christian. ~sigh~

God’s way and my way differ completely. I would prefer that my particular cross take a long walk on a short pier, to be perfectly honest.  There is nothing in me that really thinks any part of this will produce anything in me except more pain and suffering. I am not into that sort of thing and would really rather avoid it, kind of like a large spider. Or have someone else come kill it.

The Lord in His wisdom has decreed that this is not the case for me. Somehow this cross, this thorn, is part of my salvific journey and I have to master it. No. That’s not right. I have to submit to it. I have to allow God to master me in spite of it. I cannot allow the thorn in my side to distract me from His comfort, or make me discontent with what He has already given me (and we don’t even need to talk about how much that is…SO much He has given, the mind boggles!). There is so much left to do! Being distracted is not going to do anything but keep me from His plan for me. And He does have one (Jeremiah 29:11) and I have an inkling, just the slightest sparkling, of what part of it is. 

Distraction by obvious trifles is not on the list of things I need to be indulging in right now. Has He not told me He would care for me and for my son, regardless of what happened around me?Yes. And more than once.
 
There is something coming. Something good for me in spite of circumstances and ill will. I have been looking for something good for quite some time and I know that the Lord will see me through this Dark Night of the Soul to the sunrise of His blessing.

I just have to bear it.

This cross.

This thorn.

The point (HA!!) being that I need to draw even nearer to Him. That I must let the Lord soothe me and my aching soul as I endure to reach the end of the race He has set before me to run.

God grant me grace to accept what You have given me with thankfulness and a whole heart. All You do is for my good and for the salvation of my soul. I am so thankful to You for entrusting me with what You have thus far. Please make me worthy of it. Give me grace to endure with a peaceful spirit and to trust fully in Your Word and Your promises to me.

I stand before the gates of thy Temple, and yet I refrain not from my evil thoughts. But do thou, O Christ my God, who didst justify the publican, and hadst mercy on the Canaanite woman, and opened the gates of Paradise to the thief; open unto me the compassion of thy love toward mankind, and receive me as I approach and touch thee, like the sinful woman and the woman with the issue of blood; for the one, by embracing thy feet received the forgiveness of her sins, and the other by but touching the hem of thy garment was healed. And I, most sinful, dare to partake of thy whole Body. Let me not be consumed but receive me as thou didst receive them, and enlighten the perceptions of my soul, consuming the accusations of my sins; through the intercessions of Her that without stain gave Thee birth, and of the heavenly Powers; for thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.
~ Prayer before Communion by St John of Damascus
Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

Relevant Reading
The Dark Night of the Soul, St John of the Cross 
The Crack-Up, F. Scott Fitgerald
The Gift of Dryness in Prayer, Mother Maria Angelica

2 comments:

Janelle thegeekywife said...

Acceptance is one thing I am slowly learning.

On another note, Many Years to your Gabriel!

Elzabet said...

Thank you for remembering! I will let him know.

And, yes, acceptance is a very slow process. I don't like slow in this particular case, but I will try it. Kicking at the goads has not gotten me very far. LOL!