28 October 2008

Thoughts About Scarves

90% of the time I cover my hair. I believe it is something God has called me to do and I have done it. There are various and sundry reasons for it that I won't go into right now, but suffice to say I believe I cover by faith and that is between me and God.

Recently I've been evaluating myself and wondering if I should continue to cover and what the scarf actually means to me. What does wearing my hair out actually mean to me? So I had to think deep thoughts about this.

A few years ago when I first began this, my ex-husband said to me, "Whatever you do, do it for the glory of God. Don't make a Law out of it for yourself."

And you know, that one statement helps keep things in perspective for me in regard to the scarves I wear ((or don't wear)). So I ask myself, "Does wearing this scarf make me feel holier than other people? If I don't wear it does it mean God won't answer my prayers? If I do wear it does it mean He will overlook my sin?" None of those things are true.

I have to keep things in perspective in a way that seems right to me so that I don't start attaching my feelings/thoughts/beliefs/faith to things they should not belong to.

Relevant Verses
1 Corinthians 11:2-16
Galatians 2:16-3:29

No comments: