In this icon is Esther, the Jewish queen of the Persian king Ahasuerus (aka Xerxes I) during the Medo Persian empire. She was of the people who remained in Babylon after the Jews returned to Israel. Her story is the basis of the Jewish celebration of Purim.She holds in her hand a prayer for the safety of her people against Haman who wanted to destroy the Jewish people who remained in Persia. At first she was afraid to do this, to approach the king without his express invitation could mean instant death, but her uncle said to her:
"For if you keep silence at such a time as this, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another quarter, but you and your father’s family will perish. Who knows? Perhaps you have come to royal dignity for just such a time as this."Fearful, Esther took these as her marching orders and went forth to ask the King for his help. And he gave it, allowing the Jews to defend themselves and executing the evil Haman on his own gallows.
Esther 4:14
Something has come up and it is my turn to step up to the plate. I'm...nervous. A little afraid. But the Theotokos said:
...the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly...And years ago God said to me:
Luke 1:49-52
And now, my daughter, do not be afraid; I will do for you all that you ask, for all the assembly of my people know that you are a worthy woman.Enlarge the site of your tent, and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; do not hold back; lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes. And also:
Ruth 3:11
Enlarge the site of your tent, and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; do not hold back; lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes...In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you. If anyone stirs up strife, it is not from me; whoever stirs up strife with you shall fall because of you.Now that I have these words firmly in my mind again, and the testimony of God's actual actions on my behalf over the past almost 8 years. Why do I need to be afraid? God is at my right hand and as long as I remain with Him, I have no need to fear.
Isaiah 54:2, 14-15
Thank you Father for your faithfulness. Forgive my faithlessness, forgive me! I believe! Help my unbelief! And please have mercy on me, a sinner!
Relevant Reading
Esther 4
The Magnificat
Ruth 3:11
Isaiah 54

No comments:
Post a Comment