16 January 2011

January

For me, the "New Year" doesn't actually begin until February. IN my little world, January is clean up time, perfect for reflecting about the previous year, finishing whatever needs finishing and planning for the year to come.

This year is especially exciting to me. I mean, I have a boatload of things I want to do this year, but at the very tippy, sharp-pointy top of the list is walking the stage at December commencement to receive my Masters of Library Science degree. For the first time ever (at least since childhood) I don't feel like school is a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, I liked school most of the time growing up, but I never focused on anything except graduating. After graduation from university, however, I was at a loss. There was nothing left to graduate from/to, as far as I could see. I had a B.A. in something I didn't really enjoy and didn't want to pursue so I just floated for many years. I had jobs but none that I could see myself doing for the next 40 years.

Then I got married, had a child and still didn't know what it was exactly I wanted to do with myself and I think that (among other things on both sides of the coin) contributed to that marriage ending.

Now, things are way different. Yes, I have something to graduate from but in the truest sense of the word, this will be a commencement and not a graduation. It will be a beginning, not just a ranking on a scale for me. I'm excited about what is going to happen next because I chose something that makes me happy instead of waiting for someone to do it. That makes this time doubly precious to me. It's a first. It's a treasure paid for with a great price and I am thankful to God for everything He brought me through because without that background, I would have no idea just how precious this is to me.

Amazing. I never would have thought that just a few years ago.

I do have a few loose ends to tie up from last year as well. In all the dramedy that was my life for the last, say, 14 months, some things got put off or put aside. Mainly for financial reasons. When you don't have a job that sort of thing happens. What passes for normality has reasserted itself now so I think I will be able to wind those up.

I also have a list of fun things I have wanted to do since forever that kept getting put off for this that and the other reason. It's amazing how much you can do if you just DO it and quit waiting for somebody else to decide to do whatever it is with you. I'm grown and there is very little on my "bucket list" that I can't do alone if I feel the urge.

Something is coming. I've decided to be ready for it.

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

King of Anything, Sara Bareilles cover by Sam Tsui

3 comments:

Mining for Diamonds said...

Girl, you know that I can relate to so much of your post! Especially the part about not knowing what it is I want to be when I grow up. I'm still trying to figure it out! I have a degree that, although it is in something I love, it is very restricting and I have absolutely zero desire to pursue any further education. I could chose the "safe" route and pursue a career in something that will bring in a paycheck and provide for my family, and end up being miserable and making them miserable. I've been searching high and low trying to find what it is that I'm Supposed To Do. I know it's something, but what? I've decided that the time has come to simply pursue my passion, and trust that provision will follow. I'm in the process of discovering what my passion is NOT, and that in itself is especially liberating! I never knew how freeing the process of elimination could be! I definitely do NOT want to be a teacher, so now I can officially scratch that off my list. I'm not even really sure that I want to be a violinist in a symphony orchestra, which is what I thought I wanted to do since I have a degree in that field. I'm definitely at a crossroads in life (and have been for awhile) but I think this year I will finally begin to get some clarity. Amen!!!!

I am so very happy for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California :-)

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

Elzabet said...

Hi Mr Geezer! LOL!

Thank you for the add. I've poked around both your blogs. You're great and welcome!